Monday, May 19, 2008

The most filmed city in the country...

Three hours after falling asleep, Nicole and I forced ourselves out of bed and walked to the subway at 3:30 am. We wanted to make sure we made it to the "Today Show" taping in time so we had to get there early.


We waited in line for probably an hour and a half. It was so fun for me to see a real TV show taping because it was my first. Mostly, you do a lot of waiting. It was cool, though. We never got on camera but it was fun anyway.


We even got to meet Al Roker. He came out just to meet all the fans and shake hands with us. So cool! We got to see Matt Lauer from a distance, too.


They were doing a promotional thing while we were there, called "Where in the World Is Matt Lauer?" so we got free shirts and leis. SWAG is the greatest!

After the taping, we went across the street to Rockefeller Center, where we had our NBC tour. We got to see the sets for "Conan O'Brien" and "Saturday Night Live". They were sooooo much smaller than I've ever imagined. It was such a dream to see the SNL set in real life. I love that show! Anyway, I do love the idea of television and film so it waa awesome to see behind the scenes.
After our tour, we walked around and shopped a little, visited Saks Fifth Avenue (just to say we'd been in there) and then ate lunch. By the time we did all of that, we were so tired so we went back to the hotel for a short nap. Weell, two hours later, we woke up to a hornet in our room. Watching Nicole try to kill that thing was the single most entertaining visual I've experienced in a long time. She was so scared of that thing but she wanted to get rid of it so she grabbed a pillow and ran to the window, where it was perched and slammed the pillow aganst the curtain. She screamed and punched the pillow, simultaneously yelling, "I! don't! want! no! bug! up! in! here!". I guess you had to be there, and you have to know Nicole. She still doesn't see the humor like I do. Good times...
After that experience, we got ready to go back out on the town. We decided to spend the afternoon in Central Park. We ended up spending three hours exploring it and we only saw 90% of it! It's huge and beautiful.

Across the street from Central Park was the FAO Schwartz we had visited earlier so Nicole found Man-in-Uniform #2. He was a character (pun intended).

Here's Nicole in Central Park. Everywhere we went in the park, I recognized a location from a movie scene. The fountain from "Hitch", "Enchanted", "13 Going on 30", the tavern on the green from "Ghostbusters", the boathouse from "When Harry Met Sally" and "27 Dresses", the bridge from "Enchanted" and the skkating rink from "Serendipity" were all there. Now, every movie I see that takes place in New York is so much greater to me because I can say I've been there and seen it up close!



Here we are in front of Wollman Rink from "Serendipity".




Carriage rides were given throughout the park. So cute.

Here we are at the Tavern on the Green. It was this huge grassy area where people picnicked and read books. I loved it there. It was so pretty with the tall city buildings in the background.




We took a boat onto the lake for an hoour, which was quite entertaining, let me tell you! Apparently, Nicole and I DON'T make a great team. While she was rowing with one oar, I was rowing with the other in the completely opposite direction. It took us a half hour to figure out how to row simultaneously. By then, it was time to row back to the boathouse. It was really fun, though!



By the time we got to the reservoir, we were pretty beat so we decided it was time to give up our goal of walking the entirety of Central Park. We got pretty far, though, so we were proud. Luckily, we were really close to a subway station so we got on, in order to go back to Times Square (our new favorite New York place to be).

When we got on the subway, we realized that Yankee Stadium was only a few stops away so we went in the opposite direction of Times Square so we could see the stadium. Getting off in the Bronx was quite a new experience for me. I felt completely out a of place! It was dark, too, so that made me even more uncomfortable there. Luckily, the stadium was right next to the subway station so didn't have to go far to see it. No one was there because it was night and there weren't any games going on. We walked around the whole thing and tried to take pictures but it was too dark to get any good ones. That was fine because I was ready to go. We left shortly after and headed back to Times Square.


We ate pizza at this little hole in the wall place (if there can be such a thing in Times Square). It was the most fabulous pizza I've ever had. I don't even know what was on mine but it was different than what I'm used to. The cheese is different and the tomatoo sauce so much better. Mmmm.... After that we headed a few blocks away to the Empire State Building. Across from that was the famous Macy's (the World's Largest Store, according to the sign on the outside of the building).

I guess I live vicariously through movies because, again, I kept thinking of the movies that were filmed here- "Sleepless in Seattle" in the Empire State Building and "Miracle on 34th Street" at Macy's. It was cool to see where they have the Thanksgiving parade every year, too, since that's a tradition for Mom and I to watch together.

We got to the top of the Empire State Building at midnight and just as we stepped out on the 86th floor observation deck, it started raining! I admit we had beautiful warm weather up until that point so we coulnd't complain. We just hoped that it wouldn't last, considering that we hadn't brought heavy jackets or umbrellas.




By the time we finished at the Empire State Building, we were ready for bed so we headed back to the subway station. We ended up taking 2 hoours to get back to our hotel, just like the night before, so that was an adventure. It was worth it to stay late in the city, though.

No comments: