Friday, February 22, 2013

Thinking of the future

I have been thinking a lot lately about my future. I have so many dreams that it can be overwhelming for me to decide which one to follow. What can sometimes create discouragement for me is when I don't see any indication that those dreams will come true anytime soon. It is so easy for me to only look at my current circumstances and to believe that is all I will ever have. It is so difficult to trust in God's bigger picture sometimes.

Last night I had the pleasure of reading the last chapter in Stormie Omartian's book, "The power of a praying woman." It was specifically about allowing God to lead me into the future He has in store for me. There were so many treasures of truth in this chapter.

She talked about how important prayer and trust is. Think about prayer as an investment in your future. She also encourages us to keep doing what's right and resist the temptation to quit. I personally become discouraged so easily but that is exactly what the enemy wants from me and not what God plans for me. God commands us so many times in the Bible to not fear and be courageous. Courage is the opposite of discouragement.

"Don't judge your future by what you read in the newspapers or the words someone spoke over you one time. Your future is in God's hands... The only thing that is important is what he says about it. He wants you to be concerned with him because he is your future... Don't become discouraged if things don't happen as fast as you would like them to. Our perspective is temporal. His is eternal... It's at these very times when you feel as though you're not getting anywhere or you're missing the future God has for you, that God is actually preparing you for your future. And when the time is right, he has been known to do a very quick work. While it's good to set goals, don't look so far ahead that you become overwhelmed. Look to the Lord instead."

Encouraging words indeed. It's going to take a while to make this set in but I know that if I focus my heart and mind on God every day eventually it will stick.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: