Saturday, June 21, 2008

Giants Photo Day!

In case you didn't know, Mallory is the biggest Giants fan I think that exists in San Jose, next to my dad. I, on the other hand, have never been able to get through a single baseball game on television. That said, I never thought I would be here talking someday about having met all of the Giants players and going to multiple games in one summer. Mallory has converted me. I may not be the biggest fan of baseball but I love those Giants boys (almost as much as Mal) and can actually sit through an entire game (at the park) without complaining (too much). Hey, this is improvement folks! I love that Mallory and I have created this bond between us. It started last year when I took her to a game at AT&T park (my first time there) for her birthday. I got hooked. I loved the park and I loved learning the ins and outs of baseball (as only Mal can tell). She explained things in simple ways that I could understand and I could actually start following a game (somewhat). She also liked the players and knew all about them, which was the fun part. We figured out what time to get there to get autographs and where the best places were to stand to get their attention. We figured out the best seats in the house, where to buy the best park food, and which concessions vendors we liked and which we wanted to be really far away from.


We went to Spring Training with the family this year and Mallory and I started going to as many games as we could afford. We feel like old pros at this now. Our favorite part is meeting the players so when we looked at the 2008 schedule and saw "Photo Day", we knew WE COULD NOT MISS THIS! So, we made our plans and vowed to be there, rain or shine.


So, the day finally arrived and we got to the city at 10 am. We knew the gates would open at 4 pm so we had plenty of time. We ate breakfast at a cute little restaurant across the street form the park and enjoyed a nice walk from the parking lot to the park. We spent some time in the Dugout store and finally decided that maybe it was time to get in line. So, we found the line and staked out our spot. We had come prepared with all of the necessary accoutrements. We had snacks, water, a blanket, trivia books, cameras, sunscreen, and paper and pens (to play M.A.S.H.,m of course). We wiled away the hours talking, sleeping, and waiting. Luckily, we had a great view of McCovey Cove so we had plenty to watch. There was always people watching, too.


Finally, the time had come and they let us through the gates. The anticipation we had at that moment is indescribable. I was so nervous, mainly because I love Kevin Frandsen and wanted so badly to meet him (but what was I going to say?).
They let us out onto the field, which was thrilling beyond belief. Mallory and I were just as excited about standing on that hallowed ground as we were about meeting the players.


We found a great spot, directly in the front of the rope. Then the players started coming. Every player from the team walked around the entire circumference of the field, so every person there got to see every player. The first few who came around were rookies who Mallory and I didn't really know so we didn't ask for their pictures. It was weird, though, because it was all happening so fast. We knew we needed to get our game faces on so the next guy who came around, Billy Sadler, cutie that he was, was the first one we took a photo with.

Then came my other favorite, good ole Jack Taschner. He is the friendliest and smiliest guy I've ever met! Mal and I joke that he totally remembered me from last time I met him and took a picture with him at Spring Training because when I said hi, he responded with an open-armed "Hey!" like he totally knew me. It was the greatest moment of my day.
A couple other guys started coming more quickly now. We had to grab them as we could so Mal took a picture with Ray Durham, Bengie Molina, and Matt Cain. Matty and Beng are her favorite favorites. (She can't choose just one).
How cute is he?



Then we saw Dan Ortmeier, another all-around great guy. You can really see Jesus in Jack and Dan. I was impressed with them when we first saw them at Fellowship Night last year, but they live it everyday. It's awesome because these are the most genuine, friendly, happiest looking guys on the team. Anyway, Dan was having so much fun that he went around the field twice!
The moment when I got to meet Frandsen for the second time, I froze up and just said hi and asked for a picture. What a whimp! No wonder he doesn't say much to me when I meet him. Well, I made up for it a few months later when I met him and had a conversation. Yay me!
Tim Lincecum was next. Timmmmyyyyy! I don't know what it is about this kid that appeals to me but I think he's an amzing player and he's so popular and so young, he's living a really interesting life, in my opinion. He was quiet when we met him but we didn't say much to him, either. I just think it's cute how awkward he seemed, walking around, waiting for someone to ask for his pictyre. Not that people weren't but he was definitely more standoffish in a shy way than some of the other extroverts (Dan for instance).
Before this day, Mallory and I planned out who we had to meet and which one of us (or both) would be in the picture. We got everybody, plus more, that we wanted to meet. We had the BEST DAY EVER!

We hardly paid attention to the game that day because we were talking about our afternoon and looking at our pictures over and over and over again. We even stopped at our parents house at 11 that night, on our way home, to share our photos with them. My dad was as excited as we were. What an awesome day! Gotta love those baseball players.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! Looks like you had a great time!

Now if I could just convert you to being an Atlanta Braves fan... ;)

Tara said...

You and Mallory are so cute! I'm so happy you had such a great day.